Item E.1.2 – Metrolinx Proposed Transit Project Prioritization Framework
Whereas, York is striving to accommodate Provincially-directed growth in centres and major corridors planned in conjunction with rapid transit, as identified in the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan;
And whereas, the Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan, first completed in 2008, included as early priorities, Phase 1 of the bus rapid transit project and extension of the Spadina subway to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre while also identifying the Yonge subway extension and subsequent phases of bus rapid transit as “next wave” projects;
And whereas, in the past decade, approximately $3 billion of capital funding has been committed to York Region priorities by Metrolinx and the provincial government while, over the same period, approximately $20 billion has been committed to rapid transit initiatives in the City of Toronto;
And whereas, the Region has taken responsibility for the operating costs of the bus rapid transit construction to date;
And whereas, both Toronto and York Region Councils have committed to advance construction of the Yonge subway extension along with the Downtown Relief Line South – a project required to relieve capacity constraints south of Bloor Street – and preliminary funding has been provided to advance project readiness and the accuracy of construction cost estimates;
And whereas, the existing level of GO Rail service along the Barrie GO, Richmond Hill GO and Stouffville GO rail corridors is currently only 25 per cent of the service provided to the communities along the Lakeshore GO East and West corridors;
And whereas, the Province of Ontario, through its agency Metrolinx, has been working to deliver two-way, all day service improvements on the Barrie GO and Stouffville GO rail corridors as well as service improvements to the Richmond Hill GO rail corridor in York Region through the GO Rail Expansion;
Therefore, be it resolved that:
- York Region Council confirms its rapid transit priorities as:
- Yonge Subway Extension to the Richmond Hill/Langstaff Gateway Urban Growth Centre at Highway 7.
- York Region’s VIVA Bus Rapid Transit Network as shown in the 2041 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) on Yonge Street, Highway 7, Major Mackenzie Drive, Jane Street, Steeles Avenue, Leslie Street and McCowan Road.
- Council requests the Province of Ontario to continue to advance commitments made on the following:
- Two-way all-day service on the Barrie GO and Stouffville GO rail corridors consistent with the service levels on the Lakeshore East GO and Lakeshore West GO rail corridors.
- Improved service on the Richmond Hill GO rail corridor.